Palazzo
Giustinian Lolin

Palazzo Giustinian Lolin, as we see it today, dates back to the third decade of the seventeenth century, when the owner Giovanni Lolin decided to have it renovated with the intention of bequeathing it to his nephew Giovanni Giustinian on the condition that the name of Lolin was maintained alongside that of the Giustinians.
It is considered one of the first independent works of Baldassarre Longhena (1598-1682). On the facade, the use of ashlar, the Doric, Ionic and Corinthian pilasters and the symmetrical distribution of the windows are the most direct testimony of the young architect's tributes to the lessons of Vincenzo Scamozzi and in particular of Sebastiano Serlio. During these reconstruction works, the original Gothic building was completely distorted, the vertical slant of which was preserved in the windows; the mezzanine was not inserted, as was frequent practice in Venetian palaces from the fifteenth century onwards.
The complex consists of two buildings, joined by two sleeves that delimit a beautiful courtyard with a well.
History of the PalaceBibliography relating to Palazzo Giustinian Lolin
- Andrew Hopkins, Baldassare Longhena (1597-1682)
- Martina Frank, Baldassare Longhena
- Ennio Concina, History of the architecture of Venice: from the 7th to the 20th century
- Maria Damerini, The last years of Leo. Venice 1929-1940
- Paolo Maretto, The Venetian house in the history of the city. From its origins to the nineteenth century
- Giuseppe Mazzariol, The palaces of the Grand Canal
- Alvise Zorzi, Grand Canal




